miércoles, 18 de noviembre de 2015

My first class as an ELTT

  Monday, June 8th was our first day as trainee teachers. For me was a very special day, the anxiety that produces the first day of observations is quite a thing, besides I was returning to my old dearly school, 'Quelulén' Nº 246 was my school. All sorts of memories were coming back to me, everything looked smaller than I remembered, yet some things seem no to have changed with the passing of time. My fifth year teacher is now the headmistress; My very first teacher, Liliana, she still remains at school, although with different assignments. But what have striked me the most is that people on the building, I mean students, teachers, administators, keepers, they all seem like a very big family, just as it was when I attended there. Now and then we were always a few, only a course per year, but currently they're even fewer than we were (15 to 17 per classroom).
As we had arrived a few minutes earlier to introduce ourselves to the school's authorities, we were there for the break, which was divided into two (one for the youngest 1º-3º grade, and another one for the 4º-6º's grade students). Neither the youngest nor the eldest children seem to be affected by the compulsive use of technology which, as far as I know, often represents a problem concerning children's education and spare time. In fact, these children keep the most primitive yet funniest games alive, such as in my good years -jumping the rope, the hopscotch, football- and (oh god!) they're having fun, just as I did. The ring belt and off we went to the clasroom.
There we were, frightened, but we didn't show- at least we tried not to. The first class was a twelve-student class, a 4th grade. My heart began quickening as the kids chanted:
“Yellow, red...Green and blue; Hello teacher, how are you?”
Then it was our turn to present before them. In a matter of minutes, the children together with the teacher in charge made us feel like home. They were working on numbers, and personal information questions and answers (“What´s your name?” ,“How old are you?”) . So, these questions and their answers were the most uttered phrases.
As regards the classroom, I noticed that it'd got a little library on the corner, the walls were decorated with posters and some drawings made by the children themselves, an ABC but no behauviour code. Something that could, but come as no surprise to me, was the fact that children can have some water and any piece of pastry (facturas) whenever they please, since it's allowed, and there's a table available with food and drink. I think that's a very clear sign that the institution is very much concerned for its students wellbeing. The National economical scenario influence every area where the governament takes part including. of course, education. Decisions must be taken in each school regarding what to do in order to overcome situations that can affect children's learning development, such as a famished kid. Knowing this particular institution for years, School nº 246, it's is the right thing to do: cross beyond its fundamental purpose, 'primary scientific learning' let's call it, so as to help any and every children attending 'Quelulén' as long as it's possible for this peripheral school.
The minutes went shorter when observing the second class, fifteen children of around eight/ nine years old were there in 3º grade. All very glad to have not just one but a total of five “teachers” in the classroom, disposed to help them with their English among others - as trainee teachers, we can offer them centrally support, an encouraging smile will be enough for now. Despite they're younger and they'd been exposed less to English than students in 4th, both courses are dealing with the same topic: Numbers and Personal Information (Q&A). Third year may run at a slower paste, but children work very well even though they're using the same materials than in fourth (copies brought by the teacher). Welcoming, a few oral questions, two activities in their copies, and the class was dismissed. Time to go home.
As in many of our schools, children form in lines to “greet” the flag, while singing patriotic songs; In this case and to my joy, the chosen song was “Mi Bandera”. It has always been that one, followed by another one, less patriotic but more 'popular', this time a Folk song (unknown to me) performed by the music teacher himself and his guitar! The singalong lasted until all the children had left the hall, to tell the truth, this was deeply moving for me.
So far, my observations were rather superficial and highly subjective, however I hope to keep improving on my praxis. Being true to my word, I'll do my best to return a bit at a time all what society has given to me: I've attended my entire life to public educational establishments, supported mainly by the working class people of my country. Public University is trainnig teachers, and I'm one of them, thanks not only to personal or familiar attempts but also to the society as a whole. Now it's my chance to give society a little back, by increasing the right that all children should have for granted, that is to have equal opportunities through knowledge. ELT from my perspective is a powerful tool to short any bridge, cultural, economical, social, etc. Language is the realization of our own knowledge of the world, is the way in which we express our beings, having a critical approach towards every matter that concerns our teacher experience will enrich our praxis and most importantly, far- reaching our students' constitution as critical subjects.  


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario